- Do not hide a key on your boat.
- Before going ashore, stow everything loose in the cabin or in a secure place.
- Keep the curtains drawn so thieves cannot see inside the cabin.
- Select a well-run, well-lighted marina.
- Lock your boat to the moorings with chains when your boat will not be in use for a night or longer.
- Establish friendly relations with other boat dock users and agree to watch each other's boats.
- If the boat is kept on a trailer at home, keep the trailer inside a garage, safe place or where it cannot be easily hitched up and stolen.
- Make or buy an outboard motor lock and use it.
- Put permanent identification marks on the equipment and contents of the boat; record the serial numbers.
- Do not leave valuables or removal equipment and supplies in the boat at the marina or outside your home.
Copyright 2000 Sen. Vincent J. Fumo